Thread: Thai Kastane
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2011, 04:03 AM   #19
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
A well written and honest approach with references well noted that he has drawn from. I know and respect Dominique's on going work too. Well noted in the opening passage is that these weapons and the Chinese reference opens plausability to the hilt in the image Ariel posted could be from Vietnam as it was country under Chinese influence and rule.

Since this study was made available on the net quite some time back, I have not seen it ammended in any way as was expressed.
Is Mr Crosby available to delve further? I know I have some further questions since obtaining and dispersing the Kelling Hall collection, one unfortunately Mr Zonneveld was unable to help with further direction thanks to communications via Mr Rogers.

As Mr Crosby notes in many places within the text, 'Peudeueng' is the term for all swords from the region curved or straight. Further reference with regards to hilt type along with curved or straight blade and the many regional locations is noted and to complete is a monumnental work.
Within the text provided in the link and without further clear definition the Pasangan or other names is only noted as I quote 'A review of the literature seems to divide', obviously at the time of writing, not definative.

Of interest to me is the blade profile of these weapons, in particular the tips and fuller construction and where the basket hilt varients so far to my eyes have a sabre type hatchet tip. It was nice to see it touched on in these work too.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote