View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:47 PM   #19
kronckew

ah, well - didn't pay much for it. still feels like a 'user'. fairly heavy & sharp edges, would definitely hurt and damage someone.

the two 1960's +/- ones feel fairly good too (haven't posted pics of them yet). i've seen some for sale on NZ websites that are cheaper looking and selling for many times what i got those for. also have two that feel really touristy, one (first one i bought) is thin & poorly carved only one side tho it might make a good ping-pong paddle. the other is thicker, much heavier and fairly well carved and inlaid, but is only 12" long and has the initials TV on the grip. the intricately carved one billed as early 20c looks just like the one in the old book, though the patterns are slightly different. it's sharper too.

the lanyard hole in the jade one is flared without a sharp edge, not as polished as the rest but somewhat polished. no tool marks, the inner part of the hole is not shiny but not fresh cut either. can't see any tool marks. i'm not gonna bang it against anything hard to see if it cracks. i've thumped it into my hand - that hurts.

sadly, i cannot afford the older 'real' antique ones i've seen in teeny pictures on antique dealers sites listed at ten times my most expensive one so far. you get what you pay for, but a good recent one is better than nothing. in the end, i will not be using them for their old pre contact, pre political correctness, purposes, just like the steel edged weapons i have of assorted ages. they are for dreaming. the age that these weapons evolved for is long gone and exists only in our minds and the history books.

the 'vintage' 16" tourist wahaika ones: top 2.
the small 12" wahaika TV
the thin 'modern' kotiate:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd July 2014 at 03:11 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote