View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:13 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Poiniard? Stilleto? Naval dirk?

I bought this dagger a while back. It was billed as a naval dirk and it very well may be. First off, description:

The piece measures 18" total length, of which 14 1/2" is blade (hilt is only 3 1/2"!). The long thin blade has a keen edge and a wicked point. You will see from the pics that the blade is diamond-shaped in profile. The guard is cruciform in shape, has a metal ferrel and the quillons have interesting balled ends. The rest of the grip beyond the ferrel piece is carved horn (including the pommel) and made in an interesting fluted pattern. The tang is peened and has a little end cap at th pommel.

OK, so what is it? Most stilletos were all steel and from an earlier period. I woul date this piece to 18th c. pretty solidly. Let me start off by saying despite appearing 'dainty', this dagger could easily run a man through. The reinforced diamond blade would piece through thick clothing no problem.

A case for it being a naval dirk comes from several angles. First off, naval dirks were carried by midshipmen for most of the navies of the period. The dirk served several functions; as a weapon of last means in close combat and as a symbol of rank and status. This dirk could deliver a nasty wound or even kill a man and it has just enough design/decoration to please the eye. Many dirks were no more than fancy dress pieces and not meant for true combat. This sleek weapon seems to walk that line between dress and a true defensive weapon.

The other factor one must consider is the little grip! It appears this piece was made for a very small hand indeed. The young officers aboard a naval vessel were in training to become true officers and commanders some day and could be as young as ten years old!(Gilkerson, 'Borders Away') If not made for a young midshipman, than who? My daughter has small hands and even she had to grip tight not to drop it.

So, other questions. Country of origin? American? French? Has anyone seen another dirk/dagger like this? I've seen several plain swords with similar cruciform hilts attributed to Portugal, but not even sure of those sword's origins are corect. Someone else suggested that it could be a 'gunner's dirk' to prick the powder once it's in the barrel, but the blade has no measuring marks. I am open to opinions either way-
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 4th October 2018 at 01:29 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote