View Single Post
Old 25th July 2018, 03:18 AM   #14
CCUAL

Wink

I find it interesting that the blade is mono steel, perhaps the blade is chrome plated. The color looks somewhat odd, unless it’s just the lighting.
I have a Barong that didn’t exibit a pattern post etch, later to find out that it was chrome plated.[/QUOTE]

No, the blade was not chrome plated. The acid reacts to the blade right away when etched but it just gives a grayish color just like the other five. I had chrome plated blades in the past, headache hand scraping it with sanding paper as it slides through it, same thing when etching it. I had to ship the blades it to a parkerizing shop in Colo. to have the chrome removed.

This Barong blade was lightly cleaned with 1000grt wet/dry soap and water, and then hand buffed with Mothers Aluminum Polisher. I do this to all my blades. If it need etching, I re-wash it with soap and water, alcohol wipe it to remove impurities, heat the blade, and then acid etch. Learned that from DaveS.

Btw, regarding the Visayan floral theory on the blade, I won this beat-up Barong a little over 10 yrs now from e-bay, blade was very thick 11mm it also have that Chinese chop mark easy call 19th C., the ferrule was all floral engraved, that is what I had used on this Barong, so I don't know?

Again, it's been 18 fascinating yrs, thanks to my first teacher RonS, still learning day to day....
CCUAL is offline   Reply With Quote