View Single Post
Old 30th September 2014, 08:08 PM   #17
kai

Yes, David, I'm with you!

IMHO Timo put it quite nicely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
I don't think reversed grips are mostly accidental. I think a lot of it is "Stupid natives can't even put their handles the right way around; I'll fix it." Reversing the grip can do bad things to the ergonomics of the weapon, but perhaps armchair fencing theoreticians don't notice.
Short attention spans of wanna-be restorers will also often give the same result...

What I meant would be nice to have better numbers on is Detlef's observation that the display side of later MOP scabbards may favor a different way of carrying the sword in the sash. I'm not convinced yet since I've seen quite a few antique scabbards with the same "upside down" configuration (i. e. the lower edge with the elephant/eagle facing upwards).

BTW, does anyone have an antique pic of a Moro carrying his sword for use with the left hand? To make sure that the negative didn't just got reversed, there needs to be some kind of letters visible on the scene itself or, more likely, western military personell with asymmetric uniforms.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote