View Single Post
Old 28th September 2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
In the case of kris, the "upside down" position of the longer portion of the ganja might protect the fingers better if one's downward slash attack was blocked by a sword -- or a rifle barrel/bayonet -- meeting it in an upward stroke and sliding down the blade. While there are many possible attacks with a sword (and defenses), typically a rifle (with or without bayonet) is most effective when pointed directly at an enemy. An upward block to a downward slash makes sense in this case. Furthermore, IMHO, the attacker has a better chance of catching the bayonet, or hooking the rifle barrel, and redirecting it in this backward configuration.
I don't think you gain significant hand protection from your attack being blocked by reversing the grip. Also, if you're close enough to hit them, they're not facing you in a classic bayonet fencing stance - not enough room. Having your hand hit by a bayonet blocking your attack is not the problem; the problem is being bayoneted while getting into range.

If you decide that a kris is used like a European smallsword, for parry-riposte modern style European fencing, then the reversed grip looks attractive. But that isn't how the weapon is traditionally used, and it won't be a very effective style of using the weapon (unless one has rules in place to make it so).

I don't think reversed grips are mostly accidental. I think a lot of it is "Stupid natives can't even put their handles the right way around; I'll fix it." Reversing the grip can do bad things to the ergonomics of the weapon, but perhaps armchair fencing theoreticians don't notice.

More generally, "guards" on swords, especially on simple crucifom hilts (the classic European Medieval style), have much less protective "guarding" function than commonly supposed. You don't block with it. It won't protect your hands when your attacks are blocked. They're very good for making it harder for your opponent to disengage to continue an attack - long guards are nice on large heavy swords because you want the opponent to take as long as possible to make that second attack so that you have time to move the sword (or move around the sword - a really big sword, say about 2.5-3kg is a dance partner).

But guards have disadvantages. They offer handholds to the opponent when grappling, can snag when drawing the weapon, and more. If you don't fight in a way that uses it, it's of little benefit but still has the drawbacks. So sometimes no guard is better.

Last edited by Timo Nieminen; 29th September 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote