View Single Post
Old 21st March 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much for revealing all of this extremely helpful data Cornelistromp! It would appear that you are quite knowledgable as well. We often have 'translation' queries on the Ethnographic Forum, which is our main forum, and which is the forum I had earlier suggested. Obviously, here on the European Forum, the few such queries wouldn't usually include Arabic dialects (with the exception probably of the Alexandria swords ).

It is times like these when I realize how important it is to have diverse and comprehensive resources in an arms library! The Seitz reference is outstanding as I recall, but presently do not have access to it, so I am grateful for the categorization you refer to using the term 'malchus'. I am of course familiar with the Conyers and Thorpe falchion references, which indeed present entirely different potential for this blades identification.

I feel as though I've been skipping up and down the garden path, wondering what was rustling in the bushes, but now that I can see it, it is less of a puzzle.....but obviously not that much less! At least I know better where to look though.

Excellent point on the heavy ricasso, and that remains a sound observation. Since you have referenced Goethite factor, it begs the question...was this an archaeological find, and if so, obviously where in location. If it was in a location situated in regions associated with any of the crusades, than the placement here with the European Forum seems well warranted, and the focus on this blade becomes increasingly intriguing.

I'll have to learn more on the Nashki script, which I have heard of, but know little about and maybe I can implore some of our linguists to take a look at this. Perhaps they might not only translate, but add more on the use of this type script.

I also am determined to learn more on the use of the term 'malchus' as used by Seitz in his classification of falchions. It seems that it is a term not especially widely used as it does not readily appear in most references, but really does have my curiosity going!

I am more than delighted that this blade seems to be far more than my original assessment, and regret not having withheld same until I had more thoroughly reviewed the illustrations. Had I realized the complexity implied, I would have definitely looked further into available resources for information.

Thank you much for sharing this fascinating blade here, and giving us the opportunity not only to discuss, but learn from this interesting piece.

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote