View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 03:57 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Anak Alang via Nova Scotia

I am never surprised when keris show up in odd places. I found this Sumatran Anak Alang in a small antique store in Nova Scotia. It was mislabeled as a Javanese keris, but otherwise the shop owner had some awareness of what it was. It's not in the best of shape, but frankly the price was too good to leave it behind and it looked like it needed some love.
I have been calling it the "backward keris" because some aspects seem reversed. The hilt is fixed in that position. I have gone back and forth a little, but based upon the nature of the fine cracks along the side of it i believe it may be horn. I am familiar with this over all form, but i have never seen one with quite the same carved motifs and patterns.
It would also appear that the silver collar is on backwards, though it seems that it may have been this way for a while. I have not decided yet whether it would be worth may trouble (or in my skill set) to fix this. I think that perhaps some years back this old sheath was probably "renovated" The silver end piece is not the same age or patter as the piece at the throat of the keris and isn't really fitted as well. The pendokok may be a lesser white metal or a low-grade silver. Hard to tell at this point.
Please excuse the poor set of photos. I shot these with my iPhone instead of doing a more serious job with my camera. I also cannot provide any more photos as i chose to leave this in my new house in NS and its first "house keris"
Any advice on ifs or how-tos on setting this sheath straight would be appreciated. I would not want to damage the piece further simply to turn all the parts around properly and the silver bands seem rather thin and delicate.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote