View Single Post
Old 9th August 2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Hotspur

Hi Terry

I had come across my example on Ebay and although priced very well, the shipping cost posted seems to have scared others away. I had contacted the seller before the auction ceased and they said they would reimburse any cost above actual shipping. Waiting pensively until the end, my single bid accepted and the sword with check arrived virtually untouched for two centuries.

There is a very brief passage in Mowbray mentioning these with backstraps and he placed them after the war, with a promise to discuss it in "volume 2". The best we have is the younger Mowbray working with Flayderman and the Medicus collection.

There is a faint chance these were cutlered in New York state, up the Hudson (where mine surfaced) but other traits remain that they were brief English cast versions. None I have seen are marked other than mine, with the Woolley Deakin blade mark. Your etching does appear it could easily be the same we see on Kirschbaum & Schimmelbusch (sp). There is still a K&S bird on Ebay but I have its twin in a picture file. I will post that along with mine as I found it. My short term memory is shot but it is a NY jeweler that I was thinking of, ah Issac Hutton of Albany. My acquisition thread here, with Dmitry's example.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...n-amp-Co-Blade

The K&S marked sword almost a Ketland type head with a backstrap.

Cheers

GC

Note; the only cleaning I did to mine was to remove a layer of varnish that had been applied at some point.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hotspur; 9th August 2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typlos-attacments
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote