View Single Post
Old 24th October 2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
David,
Initially I thought this is a locally made blade, but what you and Jim suggest is very likely - a trade blade, marked locally. The markings as shown are very crude.

Lew,
I also thought about removing the goat skin, but I am afraid I would not be able to put it back on if I do that, and there is another layer underneath. Where the wooden hilt is exposed, it appears to be in decent shape. Patinated as old wood should be, but dry and not rotting, and it is quite sound. I think I will leave the hilt as is . I might add a pommel, which should be pretty easy to make at one point, but everything else I would rather keep in as original condition as possible. I am thinking of applying some Peckard in the parts, where the fur is off the skin.

Regards,
Teodor
I'm glad you choose to keep the hilt as much intact as possible, and agree that a replacement pommel would be good, just for aesthetic balance.

As noted, these markings do seem to have been locally added in imitation of the German markings. I believe that the original running wolf on German blades would have been stamped and appeared on earlier blades c.18th c. but on the reverse of the blade in similar location was the cross and orb in many of these cases.

As David has noted, many Solingen blades of the 19th century were 'blank' particularly toward the latter part. During the Mahdist period, these blades, which were typically the central triple fuller form were sent to the primary armoury at Khartoum for furbishing. There huge volumes of these and the other weapons being prepared for issue to the Ansar forces, were often profusely decorated with the acid etched 'Thuluth' calligraphy, imitating devotional passages cited from the Koran. The huge volumes of these weapons reached what must have been a production machine that seems to echo that of Solingen.

Interestingly from what I understand, Darfur was resistant to participate in the Mahdist movement, so most of the kaskara there I presume remained in somewhat separate entity.

One of the best books I have read concerning these events is titled "Prisoners of the Mahdi" (1989) by the late Byron Farwell, who was a maginficent writer on these subjects, and also wrote on his favorite topic "The Gurkhas". The detail in his writing was fantastic, and he was a kind and helpful gentleman always helpful with queries.

Rick, we have indeed been down that road, and many others!! I am thinking that the mark I see may be close to one with circle and horns which I have been working on for a reeeallllyyy, long time! What is interesting is that these marks are stamped, near the forte, and they may be armoury marks...not makers marks.

All best regards,
Jim

Rick...we crossed posts, thank you for posting this. Yup....thats the mark OK. On the example I was researching, which was a very high quality kaskara, silver mounted with typical crocodile hide grip (similar to examples seen on the article by Reed) , it was suggested this sword was possibly from a very important armoury.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote