View Single Post
Old 15th March 2005, 12:22 AM   #16
B.I

hi,
i think jens' contribution has been a little overlooked. to find a direct location for indian decoration is almost impossible, as most that lend towards indian arms will agree.
hendley spent many years of his life in india, whilst assuming relatively high, important roles in indian society, studying indian decoration. his interest was not so much in antique style, but more in the 'modern' day practice of an old legacy. in his volumous works, he left a fingerprint of decorative style which we can associate with almost definate certainty. in his studies, he worked alongside the decorators of the age and recorded them well.
this decoration, as jens has found, seems to stem from the khota region. there are not many pieces in private collections, nor in internationally acclaimed museums that can claim such certainty. well spotted and stated!! this style of decoration ought to be noted as we has now seen a definate example, wheres as before we had but a good illustraion. there may be in existence variations of this style which we can assume hail from the same region, but i would be surprised if anyone can now doubt the origin of this piece.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote