View Single Post
Old 28th August 2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
Nice acquisition!!! and extremely interesting. I think most of your observations are pretty well placed, and would agree with the period end of 18th c. to opening of 19th. This gives every impression of a private purchase hanger that reflects the construction style and features of the early British cutlasses and customs and other type service departments, from what I recall.
It does seem to be simply fashioned in almost 'blacksmith' grade, and the elements of the hilt are much lighter and less defined than the usual products. What strikes me as Spanish colonial is the blade, which has the characteristic uptick of the blade point as often seen on espada anchas of the end of the 18th century and into the 19th , this one more dramatic. The hilt however does not correspond to the usual guards on these, but leans more toward the British style. It is always tempting to consider another entry among the widening array of anomalies that seem to be associated with the "Spanish Main' of the Caribbean and Americas of this period.

I'll look forward to other observations while the research continues, and again, I really like these kinds of swords!! Look forward to learning more on this one.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote