View Single Post
Old 11th February 2007, 11:46 PM   #14
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
I havent got one of these but on Yemini Jambiya for example it is typical to have the right hand side of the handle more swollen & rounded & particularily fatter near the pommel than the flat left hand side, which is then left nearer to paralel with the blade.

I have an Afghan sabre that follows the same right handed approach as well. I dont think its an unusual concept, I think I have seen similar in Nazi daggers?

Whether historicaly this is for hand fit or perhaps just greater comfort in a piece worn against the body I have no idea. But to me it seems to serve both functions.

Spiral

Hi Spiral, thanks for your input..I appreciate it

I am certain that the handle/blade alignment is deliberate. Perhaps individual craftsmen had differing traditional 'slants' on the finished knife. Some straight...some 'offset'...I personally find 'my' handle gives extra control and the 'swollen' right hand side of the handle fits perfectly into the closed palm , the 'pommel' also sits nicely in the 'heel' of the palm (of the clenched fist when holding the knife) This actually means that when the knife is used in an upswept stabbing motion and a hard target is hit....the hand does not slide up to the blade (usually a cross guard would prevent this).
In the spirit of 'physical' archeology.....I put this to the test (safely)
Using 3/8" plywood as a target I forcefully used the knife (in an upward stabbing motion) The knife penetrated very deeply, on one occasion causing splintering on the reverse side from the impact. My hand never slipped or moved on impact, usually on a knife/dagger without a guard my hand would have slide up to the blade.
I have concluded that this knife is trully functional and well made.....It survived totally unscathed .... but ...I do not know how this knife would be handled or held by the people that produced it.... although anotomically the grip I had on the knife felt right.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote