View Single Post
Old 21st May 2019, 02:07 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Victrix, for your very kind words, but my entries here are simply my efforts to learn along with everyone here, and results of details of research I have completed.
You have brought up most salient points which very much should be the mantra of us all in research...…..ALWAYS keep an open mind, and toward all eventualities as further research and discussion unfolds.

In examining this curiously small breast plate, I have occasionally recalled the situation of some years ago (1996) when a French collector believed he had found the harness of Joan of Arc. It seems the armor was quite small, and he believed that certain damages in the metal had corresponded to wounds she was recorded as having received in battle.
While this armor was I believe largely dismissed by most experts as having been hers, it was duly noted that perhaps it was armor for a youngster because of its size (attached photo ). Though Joan was believed about 5 feet to a few inches more in height, she was believed to have been stockier than the slightly built stature of the person this armor was for.
It is also noted it is 'Gothic' and not of the type she is said to have worn, despite being metallurgically determined it is of 15th c.

Surely armor must have been made in varying gauge of metal as well as bolstered and augmented for key battle expectations, and it seems there are differences in 'parade' or accouterment armor in those respects.
Though notions of armor being so heavy that knights had to be hoisted onto horses etc. are of course nonsense (as has been often recounted) , it makes sense that lighter and less bolstered sets probably existed to suit occasions other than battle.

Despite the images of artwork where artists license often depicted what armor and weaponry might have been used by the figures portrayed, or the same conditions with modern film makers, there was not any real sort of regulation or standardized forms of these in these times and events.
It was mostly a circumstance of means, availability and opportunity as far as what was actually used.

Returning to the breast plate here, in looking more at the sizes (after trying to realize actual measurements in inches rather than cm) it does not seem to be unfeasibly small for actual wear as intended in my view. While the options for conventional methods of attachment seem absent, there are certain indications of possible other means of doing so as has been noted.
Elements of 'harness' were often assembled in varying degree it would seem, in keeping with the circumstantial cases of actual use I have suggested.

Whatever the case here, it seems that this breast plate may well have been viably worn, and may be included in that category of curiosities and anomalies which make these studies so fascinating.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote