View Single Post
Old 19th November 2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ibrahiim and Gav, thank you guys! Great catches on these comparisons, and both extremely relevant. I think these reflect the potential for associations with the regions most closely connected to the ports and Red Sea trade out of those now Pakistan. The elements of North Indian tulwars, blade and the rather unusual instance of globular pommel, as well as distinct Afghan features amalgamated together present a fasinating anomaly....at least until we find others like it

The globular pommel enclosing seeds or small stones as rattles is an apparant feature of certain Yemeni mounted swords known in Sudan and Darfur in particular late 19th c. used by mounted warriors in threatening foe, as described regarding some broadswords of kaskara type. Possibly this affectation diffused from those regions to trade entrepots connecting through Sind to Afghan routes.

Salaams Jim ~ Distinct links to the Mosque style dome design which I think also affects helmet style as well as swords are apparent in architecture in the region ... Interesting to learn that stones beads were inserted in the hollow pommels much in the same way that pebbles were put in the hollow lids of coffee pots in Arabia..to deter people poisoning the coffee... In the case of swords perhaps to deter tampering with weaponry or as you point out to add some noise to the fight...I wonder does the Wallace example rattle? In that example it was said to have originated in Cairo and looking at the fine examples of domes there it could be true, though, it is peculiar since it was a weapon worn by a Persian nobleman and I cant help wondering why he would opt for a Cairo hilt when such fine examples were available in Persia...? It is however probably a subject for another discussion but I mention it on passing.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote