View Single Post
Old 27th June 2012, 12:50 AM   #22
Edster

Jim/Lofti,

Thanks for bring up the possible Sufi connection. The sufi brotherhoods or tariqas (turuq I think is the plural) were/are very popular in the more rural areas. Introduced into the Sudan in the 16th Century from North Africa, the Sahel and Arabia. They provided a mystical and more spiritual response to the more legalistic orientation of orthodox Islam. They have and continue contribute to the power bases and political parties in Sudan and are a major component of Popular Islam. The Mahdi was the head of the Sammaniya brotherhood, but his followers, the Ansar were not sufi in outlook. The Khatamiya were popular among the Hadendawa of Eastern Sudan. The Tijania and Birhaniya also sunk regional roots.

For good period commentaries on the ethnographic, economic and political aspects of post-Mahdist Sudan check out "Sudan Notes and Records". It was published annually from 1918 until the mid-1960s, I think. British administrators were well educated and interested in the countryside and the people who lived there. Actually, British and its off-shoot American sociocultural anthropology arguably had its origin in Sudan. SNR is often difficult to access, but some volumes are available on-line, and the Univ. of Michigan has a subscription service.

I just found this on web site for the letter Ha.

"Ha = h

The sixth letter in the Arab alphabet represents number eight and belongs to the element of earth.

This letter, which symbolizes human intuition, has an esoteric meaning for the Sufis, as it is the first letter of the verb habba (to love): “Inna Allah jameel yuhibbu al-jamaal”, which means “truly God is beautiful and loves beauty”. Thus also the saying: “Habba man habba wakariha man kariha” or “He loves whomsoever He chooses to and He hates whomsoever He wishes to”. The letter ‘ha’ denotes the Essence in terms of appearance, presence and existence.

Shaykh ad-Dabbaagh informs us that the ‘ha’ corresponds to perfect mercy, which is a part of prophecy."

There is supposedly a meaning for each letter.

Regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 27th June 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote