View Single Post
Old 26th June 2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Ibrahiim, and you bring up a very valid point which I had not thought of, the Italian blades associated with schiavona. In considering what sort of European blade this may have been, or modelled after I had forgotten the Italian element. Actually my focus has typically been toward the blades from Solingen which characteristically have dominated the trade blade imports into North Africa, in this case the Sudan.
With Iain and Chris' observations on the ricasso presence it seems likely this could be one of these Italian blades, however Ed's note that the blade may have had the channels added seems plausible as well. Im not too sure from a metallurgy aspect how that is done, but surely it can be.
It should be remembered that the schiavona remained in use far beyond the 17th and 18th century periods to which they are typically assigned. As a traditional weapon they were still being produced or refurbished well into the 19th century.

I agree the dress of this kaskara is very much of the Kasallawi style and probably mounted near the 1940s as suggested. The lozenge pattern and the floral style crosses are favored motif designs typically represented in the silverwork on these hilts. Many of these designs occur in the leatherwork on scabbards and especially the leather straps.

The Sufi presence was well established throughout North Africa and in the Sudan, if I recall correctly especially with the Senussi, who were in Darfur regions and certainly widespread beyond that. Its been some time since I have studied these aspects along with Ali Dinar in Darfur but I do recall the Sufi being a key element in much of this history. It would be interesting to discover more on how the 'ha' letter is used talismanically, and it is well established that this aspect is an important element of Sufi following.

These are the wonders of ethnographic weapons and the things they tell us when investigated and observed forensically, it becomes quite literally an adventure in history with the weapon in focus your guide. It is the part of historic weapons that far exceeds just collecting them, and gratefully there are so many here who share in these interests and in preserving the important history these weapons give us.

Thank you for your always motivating participation and input!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote