View Single Post
Old 24th June 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Edster

Paolo,

Very nice Kaskara, indeed. May have been made in Kassala in early part of 20th C. The date of my five channel Suliman Mukhamus was quoted in Kassala as being circa 1918. However, the blade looks smoother than locally produced blades. It could be a trade blade with the local addition of the 5 channels, but that's just unfounded speculation.

The silver grip covering could have been made anywhere and added. Swords come from the smith with grips unadorned. Don't recall that silver work grip design, but the scabbard tip looks/remembers as being similar to mine. The grip top has no design. That is consistent with the Hadendawa tassel once being attached there. The scabbard decoration is new to me.

I am assuming you are in Italy. I hadn't known that Italy fought against the Mahdists. Here's a quote from a Google Page "Kassala wаs subsequently captured by the Mahdists. Іn 1894, аfter the Battle оf Kassala the Italians captured the city. Іn 1897, the Kingdom оf Italy returned Kassala tо the Kingdom оf Egypt. Іn 1899, Kassala fell under the purview оf Anglo-Egyptian Sudan until Sudanese independence іn 1956. Іn July 1940, during the East African Campaign, Italian forces advancing frоm Italian East Africa forced а small British garrison tо withdraw frоm Kassala. The Italians then occupied the city wіth а brigade-sized unit. Іn mid-January 1941, the Italians withdrew frоm the city аnd а British garrison returned."

Your sword could have been a bring-back from either adventure, but I'm more in favor of WW2. The Italian army built the Blacksmith's Market in Kassala in the 1940s as a economic development project.

Hopefully others can add more insights.

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 24th June 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote