View Single Post
Old 16th August 2006, 06:29 AM   #11
Laurie W

The two Machieras shown were photos the customer found elsewhere. They are not in his possession. The one he does have was bought about three years ago.

Here is the reproduction we made of it. This is the customer's photo and he has been using it (why the blades is discolored near the tip). As I mentioned, the blade's engraved decoration was adapted from the one with the scabbard. The same motif was used on the Rhomphaia.

Quote:
Incidentally, have you had any contact with John's family? I'm curious to hear if they have any thoughts about publishing his collection.

Best,
Andrew
You would hope that a such a huge, collection would catch the eye of a museum curator. One time he posted some photos of his collection in his AFST Yahoo group site. The variety and periods of his pieces were astounding. There was not a room that did not have something in it and he joked about not worrying if some one broke into his bedroom as he had plenty of swords to grab and fight them off with.

As a member of John Piscopo's "AFST@yahoogroups", I received an email concerning Mr. Piscopo's collection from a Rich Nable from "Pricelespast.com". Apparently Mr. Piscopo's daughter is having the collection sold off by an individual (name not mentioned) This seller has asked Rich Nable (of www.pricelespast.com)

"to forward him a list of anyone interested in possibly purchasing any remaining items."

From what Mr. Nable says, this seller has a CD of all items available on it and will mail a copy to interested parties. However Mr. Nable has no idea what is left and cannot answer any questions. He just merely agreed to forward email addresses of interested parties.

I have sent a request because the CD would be a wealth of reference material. "If money grew on trees" is all I can say.

Because of what we do and research, of course your eye is alway catching any odd old weaponry in second hand stores, yard sales and flea markets. In Quartzsite Arizona there is a huge "Rock and Gem" show where vendors from all over come to sell anything you can think of. And not just "rocks" either.
Antiques of all kinds, "brick a brac", crafts, Americana, and anything else. Including ethnic weaponry. In the past, there have been several African vendors setting up with allo sorts of items and sometimes some tribal weapons. Lately the Chinese have been setting up selling "old Chinese heirlooms", including coin swords and occasionally other old edged weaponry.

We would go there to see what to see and pick up supplies from vendors who look around for stuff we can use in our shop. (leather, thread for the leather machines, files, blacksmithing equipment et.c) Stuff that is getting harder to find anymore. Alot of "antiques" that still have alot of life in them and perfectly operational with a little TLC. Better they are used than thrown away.

Alot of edged weaponry from many historical periods crops up there. Most of it new but old as well. Also fakes and some pretty good ones at that. In some cases, passed off as something else because the vendor had no idea what they had. But have seen some tampered pieces too. So, like you say, it's "Caveat Emptor".
Attached Images

Laurie W is offline   Reply With Quote