View Single Post
Old 16th November 2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
Yes, some symbols like military coat of arms, moon, sun, stars, pandurs, ecc. are widely applied, but a stork? It is the first time I saw a stork engraving on a 18th century blade. My guess is that it is not a generic symbol and toghether with the marquese crown could point towards the owner.

Very good points Valjhun, so lets continue. As you well note, that crown is a Marquis crown, and that probably would not be cavalierly issued on a blade it would seem. I have seen such crowns in this period on blades, and associated with France, but they typically had a ligature with initials.
As you have observed, the stork is more defining so we have to reconsider.

In the reference I cited, the cuttoe closest in form to this example is late 18th century, and seemingly more French in most features, though we know Germany often supplied blades. The presence of the fluer de lis may return to its proper French context, along with the strapwork forte panel, the military swag, and the marquis coronet.

It is noted that the marquis in peerage is typically of a border region ruler, and I found that the stork is iconic in the French Alsace-Lorraine region, which is of course one of the most contested border regions between France and Germany. Perhaps here we might find clues and this may be a court weapon awarded in this or other of the French borderland courts.

So we keep going though it does seem like the coronet would be placed over the shield with the stork instead of separate.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote