View Single Post
Old 15th November 2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You're most welcome Valjhun, and I am inclined to agree, that long pointed beak seems to be a stork to me as well.....as for the whatever it is, it depends on what book or reference resource you're using.

I did further research and in " Catalog of European Court Swords and Hunting Swords" (Bashford Dean, 1929) I found some key material. It is interesting that in the 18th century, there was a strong inclination in fashion toward orientalism, and in particular in Europe, Chinese styles. Many of the smallswords were decorated in a style known as 'chinoisorie' following designs in work designed by East India Co. and done in Peking. I am under the impression that a number of Chinese artisans even came to Europe in Germany and Poland, and recall some profoundly Chinese style swords that were produced there but need to look further to find them.

In any case, in the Dean reference, couteau de chasse #38 is a hilt almost identical white ivory or bone, with the crossguard in identical style which is reflective of Chinese jian swords, and dated c. 1780-1800. The blade, which is from Germany, is decorated with virtually identical military trophies and swag, and important of note, the same type lattice or strapwork at forte panel. It would seem quite likely that a sword of this quality would have been produced in Germany and decorated with the designated arms and motif along with the well known standard military devices.

As much as it would be ideal to attribute these heraldic devices to a particular person or family, it would seem they were often widely applied in motif in swords of these times and without more personalization added, are more stature oriented. Who knows what more research might reveal though.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote