View Single Post
Old 10th September 2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for the additional clarification Gonzalo. I well understand your respecting the work in progress of your friend, and I am really looking forward to seeing more in depth study on these fascinating swords. I have been intrigued by them since one these was one of the first weapons I owned in my younger years in Southern California. Not really knowing what it was I traded it off at some point, and years later was devastated when my interests turned to the Spanish Colonial weapons, and I realized my loss.

Because of the many variations and the commonality of both machetes and the espada anchas, it is truly difficult to establish regional and chronological order in studying them, or at least I have found that to be so. The Mexican blacksmiths of the frontier were brilliant at the use of materials at hand, and remarkably adept at returning weapons or parts of them to servicability. This is one of the many factors that make the study of the colorful history of Mexico through its weapons so incredibly fascinating!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote