View Single Post
Old 6th September 2008, 03:06 AM   #3
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
This should provide a good start for you.

http://www.vikingsword.com/rila/index.html
hahar,, ah yes i have already read this some time back.

has anyone got any drawings or pictures of the mentioned "wacking sticks" used by the natives.. and what area is this refering to brazil and the south or mexico and the central america??

does anyone know who was the first firm to commercialy produce machetes?

i woudl think some firm in spain but i guess maybe, more likely england due to the advancement in hot rolling there in the 18th centuray..

has anyone and information on regional types and historical regional types , that maybe are no longer common??

ive seen quite some variation in the handles of the machetes on mexican machetes alone.. some being quite fancy with several spurs or a lather large hook on the pommel sometimes almost shaped like a z, and it seems these are from specific regions,,
some have partial tangs some full , some tapered.. ect ect
ive notices also brazil and the caribbein winding the grip with wire is popular..
also is having a carved pommel on these hidden tang machetes.. normaly a dog s head or a boot or the head ot a rooster or such is common,

also i have noticed sheath style is quite different in each area,, there seems to be quite a few way that the sheaths belt loop is produced,, each more common in one specific area..

machetes rely facinate me as they are a "new" style of ethnographic knife .. that had not exisisted until recently .. but now is so wiedspread around the world..

anyone got any good collection with information about the reginonal popularity of specific models ??
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote