Thread: Unusual Shotel
View Single Post
Old 1st February 2011, 10:39 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While the intense debate continues on the pommel figure, I am as always distracted by trying to learn more on the possible history of this potentially presentation or diplomatic gift grade shotel.

For those readers out there also considering that aspect of the sword, I wanted to note some things I discovered on the geopolitical situation in Ethiopia c.1890s.
Menelik II (r.1889-1913) was in power in then Abysssinia, the British were trying to stabilize the Sudanese regions after the demise of the Mahdi, and were prepared to acknowledge Italian suzereinty in Ethiopian regions.

France however was encouraging Menelik to oppose the Italian threat by delineating the borders of his empire. They had already been granted the authority by Menelik to build a railroad from Addis Ababa to Djibouti (French Somaliland). They joined Menelik in 1898 to penetrate the Sudan against the British at Fashoda in the strained conflicts which ultimately resulted in the Tripartite treat of Dec. 13,1906 between the UK, France and Ethiopia.

Since it seems to me that the character of this 'shotel' reflects prevalent French character (the pommel is likely the neoclassic image of Mars/Ares), with likely a German made blade, the events of these times suggest the possible diplomatic nature of this sword.

I have seen another diplomatically oriented sword with similar blued and gilt blade motif including Amharic inscription, Lion of Judah and regalia type images, on a European style sabre blade, this one during the rule of Theodore.

While unclear exactly which event or figures this sword may pertain to or more definite date, it seems worthy to consider those described as being possibilities.

In the attached, image of Mars as often portrayed in neoclassic motif, not with snake or birds here, but the snake figure as seen with some of these mythological images is typically just noted as a 'poisonous snake' in lieu of the dragons in mythology.

The map shows French interests c.1898, in pink.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote