View Single Post
Old 16th March 2023, 02:00 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdaniec666 View Post
Hi Andreas,

overall this looks good. However I am a bit sceptical when it comes to red rust (= Fresh rust) and would take itīs recent wherabouts into consideration. It would be fine if it came out of the earth recently or from a very old attic.

Stylistically these came in a wide range of phenotypes and were used not only in Poland or Hungary but surely in whole Central- to East Europe in that form. The name for this in Poland and Hungary is "Nadziak" (This is the Polish version but the Hungarian is very similar; phonetically: na​d̠͡ʑak). Decorated versions, like yours, would have eventually been more used in civil life than in battles due to the likelihood of loss and damage.

I would suggest to clean it via electrolysis to prevent possible compromitation of precious metals underneath the oxidation layer.

Best,
Patrick
I've not much to add to what has been said already. All I can add is I've seen several in the marketplace of late that have the hammer and spike ends threaded into the main part... I'm no idea if this is correct for EU arms of the era but I suspect not

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote