View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:22 PM   #7
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Nomally with resin mounts I hold the handle and gently heat the blade near the handle with a propane torch while holding the handle in an upright position. The heat travels upward into the handle, melting the resin.

If you keep your hand on the handle, (or the blade) you can guage the heat buildup. Take it slowly so you do not remove the temper from the blade, but should come loose in about 20-30 seconds.

In your case, since you do not care about the handle, I would heat the handle with the blade tip up until the handle falls off.
Thanks Bill
As I said above I have never done it only read about it. So its always good to hear from someone with experience. Some sources ('Persian arms and Armor'-Museum Malbrook ISBN 83-86206-31-4 Plate 38,39) talk about molten alum was poured in first then a plug of pine rosin was added to waterproof the assembly. I don't know the temperature that alum melts at

Sorry this stuff is comming piecemeal, Flavio I am adding it as I dig out the stuff I had read on it before when I was thinking about repairing a tulwar I had
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote