View Single Post
Old 20th January 2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

My thanks to everyone who have commented and given information and their opinions on this rather unusual knife. In my original description I did state that the spacer plates between the horn sections of the hilt were made of brass I should also have mentioned that this piece does indeed have an integral brass bolster and guard. The use of multi sectional hilts was a common Spanish style at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries and can seen on many knives, swords and daggers made both before during and after that period. When searching for information on the subject I was been able to find that brass was in good supply in the Philippines both before and after the Spanish American War. It was acquired through trade with other countries as well as from the Spanish themselves. This supply grew even larger during WWII and also supplied the locals (even though small amounts were available in the early 1900's) quite a large amount of aluminum as well. I like Ian believe that is a custom made prestige piece and was most likely commissioned by someone of means who would have used it as a dress piece to communicate the owners status in the local community. I used the term "camp knife" to describe this piece because the blade style reminded me of other knives I had seen with similar deep bellied blades described as such. I am now starting to wonder if this is indeed an Ilokano piece though as I have been reminded by Lorenz that Ilocano knives, swords and bolos are distinguished by have a 'hump' somewhere along the blades spine usually towards the center and this piece is missing that particular trait. That is unless the hump where the clipped point starts could be counted as one. Putting together everything about this knife with its overall styling and craftsmanship I still tend to believe that it is of an earlier age and would date to the late 19th or early 20th century as the original owner stated in their description. This of course is JMHO and it would not be the first time I was incorrect in dating an item. The knife shown by Leif does incorporate a similar multi material hilt, but again this is an old style seen not only on many earlier pieces (some that I have seen dated to the mid 19th century), but on later pieces such as the one Leif has shown as well. The reddish colored spacer seen in Leif's photo of the hilt is most likely made of micarta which has been used in electrical applications sense the early 1900's and would have been readily available from some of the military equipment of WWII. I also agree with the age stated in his description. Again, my thanks to everyone that have made comments and supplied information and opinions on this knife so far and I look forward to hearing more on this interesting piece the coming days.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 20th January 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote