View Single Post
Old 20th January 2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef:

The knife shown by Robert has a brass ferrule and guard that are separate from the blade, so no bolster present. Bolsters on Filipino knives are uncommon, and mostly on high end pieces IMHO.

The manner of construction of Robert's knife was certainly used during the Philippines Revolutionary War--in fact two iron ferrules around a horn grip (with or without a guard) was commonly seen then. However, the use of brass ferrules and guard, and particularly a multi-media grip, was seen more commonly later on Ilokano knives, and particularly post WWII when there was a lot of brass around from spent ammunition. Incidentally, the grip on Robert's knife has darker horn spacers surrounded by thin brass or aluminum (?) disks--if these are indeed aluminum, then that would also point to WWII or later manufacture because aluminum on Filipino knives came largely from downed airplanes until aluminum cans came along in the late 1950s. Prior to these sources, aluminum was scarce--essentially a precious metal in 1900.

Everything about Robert's knife says 1940s to 1960s to me. I like the well made hilt and the unusual blade. I do think it was a custom-made piece, especially with the horn inserts on the hilt. and the nice rounded cap to the end of the hilt. Often these were threaded and screwed over the end of the tang. Again, that feature was seen more commonly post-WWII.

Leif's knife is of similar age IMHO. The nut on the end of his hilt is the more familiar form of securing the grip to a threaded tang. It also has two brass ferrules and a multi-media grip, with a ring of red material that could be red corral but more likely plastic. Leif's seller may well be corect that his knife was a WWII bring back.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Ian,

I kindly disagree. The bolster construction and also the horn butt plate let me think that it is indeed from the Spanish American War. But like always I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Ian; 20th January 2018 at 04:05 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote