View Single Post
Old 24th November 2008, 05:20 AM   #42
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Hi Jim,

Firtsly, I would like to say what a pleasure it is to find a fellow enthusiast or arms and armour, who is so appreciative of the work of AVB Norman - His work reflected a curatorial approach and I suspect that he had scant knowledge of swordsmanship, but with all his faults, he made a huge practical contribution to our knowledge, though mostly of hilts as you say.

He did seem to have an awareness, albeit none too strong, of the significance of the blade, which he addresses in passing in chapter 2 "Rapiers and Small-swords", pgs19-28. For example: "...many so called swept hilts are found on relatively broad blades....which no modern collector would class as a rapier...."

As for the evolution of hilts, I feel we would do better to defer to Castle who dealt with this at some length. He draws our attention to that in the era when the sword was merely an offensive weapon, the simple cross guard, complemented by a mail gauntlet sufficed. However once blade on blade actions became normative greater hand protection was required and the complex hilts (CH), swept and baskets (on broad swords) were developed. In time, many of the loops were filled with solid or pierced plates for ever greater protection and eventually these solidified and morphed into the cup hilt and its variants, which appeared around 1630, maybe earlier, and in all likely hood in Spain. As the ponderous long rapier gave way to the nimbler transitional rapier the action of parrying with the blade became increasingly more frequent and there was less need for the larger complex hilts. The first radical departure from the CH was that of the Flamberg, a transitional rapier (TR) equiped with a simple small dish with quillons (cross bars). Other simplifications found on TRs included the retention of a light knuckle bow and quillons with pas d'ane (finger rings surrounding the ricassso) and the reduction of the cup into what these days we tend to call bilboate shells. With the advent of the small-sword and the attendant full parry-riposte play, hilts were further simplified with the gradual elimination of the pas d'ane, further shortening of the quillons, and reduction of the shell or dish and the retention of a largely ornamental knuckle bow, as by that time the risk to the hands was no longer posed by a cut, rather a thrust. Interestingly, the late 19th century dueling epee retained a cup hilt every bit as large as that of the earlier rapier, so this suggests that the much reduced hilt of the TR and the small-sword was as much about convenience as the reduced need for hand protection on account of a more evolved blade play.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, what an absolutely fantastic summary on the development of these hilts as associated with fencing style!!! and thank you for the gentle correction on that part of Mr. Norman's book, which I had completely overlooked. Indeed, his approach was curatorial and as mentioned, in 1978 his tremendous work encountered difficulty in publishing, at the time he was Master of the Armouries in London. The book was finally published in 1980.

In my studying on weapons some time ago, he always patiently and faithfully responded to my queries and openly shared his perspective in the most kind and friendly manner. In 1998, he informed me he would be coming to Dallas and suggested we meet, and you can imagine my excitement. A short time later he became ill, and I received his regrets of not being able to make the trip from his family. He passed several weeks later. Inserted in the pages of my copy of his book, which I treasure, are still the letters from this kind man, who was indeed an inspiration to me, and actually, still is.

With all very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote