View Single Post
Old 15th February 2021, 03:23 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default Old flintlock conversion to percussion

Here is a pistol that started me into collecting over 30 years ago. I received it from a great uncle and I must confess that I didn't pay it too much attention as I assumed it was a target pistol and late 19th c. percussion. The other day, I took it down from the mantle and really looked at it and realized that it might be (???) an old flintlock with later conversion to percussion? Again, for give as I am more an edged weapon collector.
The mechanism on the piece is crisp and works well. I tried to capture the detailing on the piece. Although a worn example, one can still make out traces of gold inlay, a scene on the top of the barrel of a stag, foliage work on the butt-cape, beautiful wood scrolling/patterning to the wood. It has it's original ramrod and a small repair with nail (unfortunately cracked). The interesting thing about it is that the gun is very light despite not being a small weapon by any means.
My questions are- Am I right that it is a conversion piece? How old might the original pistol be? Country of origin? Dueling pistol? Target? Would it be worth my while (with this piece's rugged condition) to try and restore a flintlock to the piece and what might be involved? I don't care about the value. really, but I also wanted to know if the value is greatly affected by the percussion conversion? I'm assuming so-
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote