View Single Post
Old 13th March 2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Sajen,
first I was gonna reply with; 'what have you bought now!!! My God' but for $40,!!! And looking better; I think <cant see the stamp that Willem is talking about> the blade is actually a good old/antique one as it has some inserted dots in it (?), simple form and nicely concave.
The start of the grip is indeed a section of horn. The handle is quite terrible, sorry to say, but the copperwire around the grip again is often also seen on old examples.
From the style of scabbard and handle I would place your mandau from the Ngaju-tribe, South (to east-ish)Borneo. Blades from this tribe are often from 'Mantikei'-iron as that is close to their region.

(Kenyah pieces are always quite "overdecorated" and busy of curls etc; Kayanstyle is however the most archaïc of Dayaks, but as they are often found near Kenya they also tend to decorate more)

Quite a nice piece afterall and honest!
Best, W

Thank you Wouter, agree with you that the handle isn't a beauty. The blade is stamped (the seller stated this) but look to my eyes as well very good worked (concave and possible inlays, I am not sure ?). What is "Mantikei"-iron? Thank you for pin down the possible origin. I will decide when I have received it if it is a "keeper" but by the paid price it wasn't a mistake for sure. Will post more pictures when I have received it.

Best,

Detlef