View Single Post
Old 6th June 2021, 06:02 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am curious about the 'South Indian' suggestion as far as the style of this tulwar hilt, and I dont mean to dispute but understand just what region(s) of south India is being referred to.
The 'tulwar' , that is the hilt form generally termed Indo-Persian as seen here is as I have noted predominant in the northern regions I named.

The features I noted, the pierced langet, the decoration in the pommel disc interior, the four point star or floral motif on the guard, are all characteristic to northwest India, particularly into Afghan regions.
The paluoar, which is considered an exclusively Afghan sword with drooping quillons and the bowl type pommel, is often seen with the four point motif on the guard, and the pierced langet which somewhat recalls zoomorphic figures as on langets (the makara is typically known in north, while yali in south).

I would point out that it is generally held that the paluoar is actually a northern India form of tulwar (as described in Egerton, 1885) and its features influenced by styles from the Deccan (central part of India).

Influences from there into Afghan regions were cross diffused with the Pathan communities which developed in Kurnool, Cuddapah and Savanur regions in the Deccani sphere.

While the 'tulwar' (as described) was not used in any notable degree in the south, Tipu Sultan did have one (now displayed in New Delhi).

However I can see the feature of the 'beaded' edges on the guard etc. being regarded as 'southern' as this fashion does occur on katars and some other weapons of Tanjore (Tamilnadu). I think it may be reasonable to think that this 'convention' might have transmitted to the 'north' after Adoni (1689) where large volume of arms and armor were captured and taken to the armory at Bikaner (Rajasthan).

This might offer an explanation for the apparently amalgamated overall design of this very attractive hilt.

As has been noted, it was quite common to have hilts and blades stored separately in many armories in the princely states, and these elements were imported from various sources, often assembled as required. As with most ethnographic weapons, swords were refurbished, often numerous times, as local or individuals tastes specified. With this well known propensity it is hard to specify 'original' or homogenous state on weapons which were subject to these kinds of changes in their working lives.

The Great Exhibition in London very much increased the public interest in items from India and acquisition of many souvenirs imported, which undoubtedly included weapons. The interest waned in large degree by 1863 when East India House was closed, and holdings dispersed.

I hope this better explains my perspective on this particular tulwar posted by Stu, and on the disposition of these swords from 19th c.

Attached are images of 'paluoars' (north Indian /Afghan tulwars 19th c) showing the langet and guard decoration I refer to, and a grouping of pommels from tulwars, primarily from Rajasthan centers with likely Rajput orientation possible.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote