View Single Post
Old 4th June 2021, 11:30 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A very nice example Stu, and what I would consider probably Rajput, if considering the designs in the pommel bowl. The langet and general styling corresponds with tulwars from N.India, particularly regions near what is now Afghanistan, and south into Sind, Baluchistan, Rajasthan....noting that Rajasthan held most of the production centers.

It is extremely difficult to geographically place tulwars as these were used in so many regions, but primarily in India north of the Deccan. Tulwars did however follow southward through Deccan to Sultanates in south as far as Mysore with Mughals.

It is pretty much always safe to assess 19th century with these tulwars, though many can place further back into mid to latter 18th on occasion. Mostly they are mid to latter 19th c. Remarkable numbers of these were collected as souvenirs during the British Raj, and at the huge 'Durbar' events where sellers from many princely states presented their wares.

Tirri's book follows many writers in relying on the Pant classification system ("Indian Arms & Armor", G.N.Pant, 1980) where the author has categorized various styles mostly in accord with regions, and while useful as far as using the terms in discussion to specify, these classifications are not entirely viable.
For example terms like Udaipuri, Sirohi etc. are among numerous locations in Rajasthan where hilts and blades were widely produced, exchanged and exported. These hilts were maintained traditionally for centuries, and only decorative nuances and motifs can sometimes offer more specifics.
For example Lahore had distinct preferences for enamel on hilts, some locations used gold koftgari in a 'diaper' pattern , some used the silver over back 'Bidri' style. The floral or star shape on the guard on this one along with the face like langet remind me of northwest frontier (then termed India, but now Afghanistan, Khyber into Sind).

The designs in the pommel remind me of the kinds of designs used by Rajput clans, in this case solar themed.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote