View Single Post
Old 13th November 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
blue lander

Default Two Kerises, one possibly beyond repair?

After discovering this website and spending a week or two reading threads, I decided I wanted a keris. I bought two off e-bay, and let's just say I'm happy with one of them.

This is the first one, the seller said it was from Bali. The keris is approximately 13” long total, blade 9-1/2”. I'm not sure if I'm counting right, but I think there's 13 luk. There's a Naga by the ganja. i guess the sheath is Ladrang style, which looks to me like the Java style rather than Balinese? Apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology here.

It seems much more crudely carved than any other keris I've seen while searching this site. I intend to attempt to clean that rust off with a lime, if that's appropriate.

Here's a closer shot of the pamor. Does this pattern have a name?

Here's the Pendok.

There's a peacock towards the top.

And finally here's the handle.

I guess my questions for this one are. Is it really from Bali? Is there any way to tell how old it is? Is there anything I should do as far as cleaning goes beyond trying to get that rust out? I really like this keris even if it isn't the most masterfully executed design . It even smells good, very faintly like expensive soap or aromatic candles.

Now for the second Keris I bought. I'll post that one next, but here's a preview.

Yes, those are file marks. Somebody sharpened the entire thing with a file. I assume it's beyond salvaging, but I'll post more pictures.
blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote