View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Wodimi

Default Renaissance style stiletto

Dear Gentlemen,
normal I collect ethnographic weapons from Africa, Now it happens that I picked up a strange dagger. It is definitely from Mahdist warriors, but only modified from those guys. Mahdist's nor other groups in that region had made such handles.....they simply covered crossguard and handle complete very careful with lizard skin, but it seems the Mahdist only modified this dagger with the skin, will say the handle have still the original form, which is Renaissance style in my eye. I checked the handle with a magnet, it's iron, only the thicker part in the middle not, maybe a broce or leather or wood. The crossgard is not magnetic, maybe brass. So the magnetic on the handle is not so strong as on the blade, it could be that it is such a in one-piece cast metal handle and so the magnet react only on the angle under the cast/wood handle and only on the top of the knob you have again strong magnetic.
The blade have extreme good quality and is for sure European, could be a Renaissance dagger. The reverse side of the blade is total flat. The blade is on the front not really triagle, a bit hollowed.
I would be happy, if somebody from you knows more about this sort of dagger.
Thanks
Wolf
Attached Images

Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote