View Single Post
Old 30th December 2004, 03:39 AM   #6
Philip

Default scabbard caught my eye

The design of the fittings on the sheath of the "krabi" shown above is a dead-ringer to the scabbards on a type of Vietnamese saber called a "guom". Note the three metal fittings, with indented contours, the markedly tapering chape with a graceful upswept terminus, and the position of the upper suspension ring (very near the throat). All these features are in common with the scabbard of a typical "guom", which on better examples is mounted in embossed silver. The difference is mainly in material: Vietnamese scabbards are frequently of rosewood, delicately inlaid with MOP.

Many guom have knucklebow guards, like this krabi, albeit of different contour and decorative treatment. I have always attributed the presence of knucklebow hilts in Vietnam to French influence, but after looking at some rather similar "parang nabur" hilts, I'm starting to broaden my outlook. Now that I see this Thai scabbard, I'm wondering even more.

I plan on giving a talk on Vietnamese swords in Timonium this coming March, and will have a few examples of guom to show. 'Will look forward to discussing these points with you guys there.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote