View Single Post
Old 5th December 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Gustav

Thor, thank you for the enthusiastic comments. Here a good source for names of different features on a Keris blade:

http://kerisattosanaji.com/kerisdiagram.html

Thank you very much for your comments, Detlef and Kai. Regarding the everlasting question "hippo or elephant", I must admit, I gave up this subject a time ago. May be I am not talented enough for it . There is a line of dots (or more precisely, a few dots on a line), which are not so distinct as on another hilt I have, which is sea ivory for sure.

A good thread regarding ivory:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=ivory

Tomorrov I will take a few more pictures of hilt and Pesi.

Kai:

the Ricikan was never Javanese first class standard on this blade for sure. This is an average blade.

Pesi: tomorrow, if it's not snowing.

Sampir: this was my suspicion also, before I received it. The wood is very dense; its quite dark, black where the oiled blade touched it, and it surely is old.

Blade: I never said, it is a Malela blade. It has Pamor. What I ment is:

IF it isn't a Javanese blade, IF it is a N. Malay Peninsula blade, and IF it is an older one, this MAYBE could be a form, which participated to the development of Malela blades. I feel something like this looking on the famous Paul's 13 Luk Malela blade, which is more on Javanese side then most Malela blades (Poyuhan, lack of Bugis type Gandhik), and which perhaps shares a few superficial similarities with my village quality specimen.

I think, you and Detlef are wright about certain Minang traits. Yet I also suppose, the Minang Keris (which is a deep mystery for me) was influenced or created by a Javanese form. And perhaps Peninsula was reached by both forms, this particular Javanese and Minang? Speculations, speculations...
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 6th December 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote