View Single Post
Old 14th July 2013, 10:03 PM   #9
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANTARU
I dont think that is Tamil. Must be Kannada. The Kodava tribespeople live in Coorg, Karnataka. though they have their own language.

I'm a Tuluva so I have a different language bu I'll ask some of my acquaintances.
Interesting, because my wife and her family hail from Mangalore (but they are native Kannada speakers, not Tulu), though she grew up in Coimbatore (before relocating to B'lore after 12th standard). She says she is certain the script is not Kannada (though after 14 years of marriage, I can vouch that if she is incorrect it wouldn't be the first time she was wrong about something ), and nearly as certain it is an older form of Tamil.

BTW, I was reprimanded for my earlier post in which I said she couldn't read Tamil, which is incorrect; she said she couldn't read this script because it is in an old Tamil script. However, she did recognize a couple of the syllables with some varying dergees of success and certainty, though in sounding the four sequential syllables following the date, she can't quite make sense of it (and I probably did as much harm as good in my attempt to transcribe them phonetically ).

Anyway, still a work in progress, but until something more definitive comes along, this is something to go on - she said she'll see if she can make sense of it later on...
Attached Images

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote