Thread: Old Omani Saif
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...I+BATTLE+SWORD This thread deals exclusively with this weapon. It is the Sayf Yamaani ...

The old Omani Battle Sword with the addition of possibly an Indian blade...or a wootz blade from somewhere. The two holes are blocked by rivets on the ends of the crossguard whereas on other examples it is suggested they were anchor points for tassles. The holes in the grip are usually three ~ The two lower holes for constructing the grip of hexagonal or occasionally tubular metal to a wooden core and the upper hole near the pommel as a wrist strap hole. On age you can glide up and down the piano keys all day on age and also the same as to originality arguably as far back down the line as 751AD as the Ibaathi Battle Sword against the Abaasid in Oman. Other guestimates are without secure data and attempt to place this weapon at about 12th C again without foundation... as recently as about 10 years ago some thought it was Portuguese and others since have suggested from the Saladin type.

Personally I ride with the team who suggest a much earlier provenance and I see nothing wrong with the Ibn Julanda ticket of 751 AD making this virtually another Sword of the Prophet form and with the name suggesting Yemeni provenance (Sayf Yemaani)it scores equally well in that regard.

The blade however causes much uncertainty since several of these weapons have been recently twinned with blades...and very expertly done ... from other regions. I would say that if the blade is a genuine item it could go back a few hundred years ...There is no scabbard? There are no blade marks. It does leave itself somewhat open .... Tell me where you got it and I will be more forthright...

When you say ~ I suspect that Indian wootz blades remained valued in Oman and the Omani holdings on the East African Coast up until Solingen's prolific production offered a cheaper alternative without compromising the quality, ultimately leading to the adoption of the longer style blade and hilt.

This is completely incorrect since the both Omani longhilts: the longer style of straight blade is a dancing sword and pageant only and the equivalent sabre in curved mode and single edge is nothing to do with the Sayf Yemaani whatsoever. To muddle up these swords on both price and Solingen production is a very unsatisfactory precedent as each must be viewed on its own.

Readers may be aware that I have placed favourable comparison between the dancing sword and the Sayf Yemaani but this is only a historical linkage for example; the two have both got 2 sharp edges and they both have a flat spatulate tip section and both use the Terrs shield but the two swords have an entirely different function and one is a Battle Sword whilst the other has never been in a fight! Your para on Solingen and price, therefor, misses the point.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st October 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote