View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 01:02 PM   #20
A. G. Maisey

Yes, these fotos are less than adequate to enable a thorough critical assessment, but even though they could be improved, I believe we can see sufficient to permit some valid opinions to be formed. In a way, seeing photos like these does reflect the real life situation of buying in a market in Jawa, the light in the markets is very far from ideal, the pressure from the mass of people one is surrounded by, and from the seller, often forces an opinion when it might be wiser to delay until the available info was a little better.

Taking these things into consideration I do feel that legitimate comment can be made about this blade, and it is an interesting blade to comment on.

The first thing that hits my eye is the very badly shaped sogokan:- the front edge of the sogokan in the grey background foto is appalling.
But was it like this originally?
I do not believe so.

Another incongruous thing with the sogokan is the fact that the poyuhan (the very tip of the sogokan) does not produce a nice neat balanced meeting of the two sides of the sogokan.

If we compare the two sogokans, one on each side of the blade, it seems that the sogokan in the foto on the red background has nice straight edges , so maybe that wavy edge in the grey foto is due to damage, or maybe it is due to a flaw in the material. But even though the edges of the red background sogokan do look better, once again the poyuhan is much less than good.
Is this due to age, or damage, or was it like this from the beginning?

I don't know, and even if the fotos were very much better, I still wouldn't know. I would need the blade in my hand and 3X loupe screwed into my eye.

The only thing I can say with confidence is that right now, these sogokan suck.

If we look at the blumbangan and the gandhik, what we can see is very skilful work. Both these features are very well sculpted, but the kembang kacang is thin and wispy, very much like a Madura kembang kacang, or as DR.D. suggests, a KK that has been heavily eroded and perhaps reshaped. However, there is an irregularity under the KK which might indicate that this KK once had a jenggot. Again no better foto could tell me any more than I can see now, I would need to handle the blade.

But, if the jenggot is missing --- why?

The greneng is a real puzzle. Yes, there is clear evidence of some erosion, but we can see that we are looking at a Mataram rondha. However, there is nothing that resembles a correct kanyut. Even though the greneng has lost form --- if it had good form to begin with --- it still appears to be relatively thick, not thin as is usually the case with an eroded greneng.

In short, the greneng is a mess, as it is, it does not carry any message at all. The gonjo seems to be original, so what I'm thinking now is that maybe some extremely unskilled person took a file to the greneng and tried to improve something that had been eaten by erosion. But if this happened, why is the flow of greneng into wadidang still smooth?

Additionally, if the greneng and the jenggot were subject to erosion, why is the outline of the blumbangan still perfect to the point where it looks like it came off the bench yesterday afternoon? Then we have the gandhik, it looks like HB, and it is very, very nice.

The ada-ada is clean and perfect. No erosion at all to the wadidang. The pamor is lifting away from the core, but the edges of the core show none of the expected fraying that is usual when pamor retreats to this degree.

But the pamor itself is very well handled. Complex, and beautiful. All marks of an extremely competent smith.

So we have a competent smith, but several different levels of competence in the garap, and unexpected levels of erosion overall.

Based upon what I believe I can see in the photos, there are too many inconsistencies in this blade to permit any definite opinion in respect of the maker, or more likely, the makers. Frankly, I do not know if I am looking at an old blade that has been subject to erosion, I do not know if the blade has been re-worked, I do not know if I am looking at a relatively recent blade that has been subjected to processing.

What I do know is that there are more inconsistencies than I can feel comfortable with.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote