View Single Post
Old 6th March 2005, 10:13 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Adam,
Thank you for the excellent photos! Also, good work on checking Lenciewicz. I hadn't checked that resource yet. Actually the various references with markings seem to pretty much repeat each other in degree. Also, I didn't transcribe the name that I cited for the maker correctly ...in any case the main point is that the markings represent earlier Spanish makers, and are as you note deeply stamped. That characteristic, proportionally worn with the stage of age and pitting of the blade, suggests this blade is actually earlier than I had thought, and may well be second half of 17th c. and most probably a Solingen product.

The note of the evidence of a thumbring now removed, also lends credence to the Eastern European provenance for this sword , while I think the hilt, by its general appearance is still 18th century. I think the comparison to estoc hilts is very well placed, and while away from references, it does seem that I have seen this type hilt on them.

Wolviex,
Thank you for explaining more on the 'chopping' term. I see what you mean about that particular dynamic in sword combat. I think chopping is a rather common application in the use of a sword in chaos of close quarters combat, and the early heavy blades would certainly have much of the impact you describe. It is interesting that the early blades you note typically had the widening at the point known as the yelman. This was not only for strength, but to add weight to the impact of the cut.
The extreme length of this blade is consistant with many cavalry blades of Great Britain in the 18th century as well, and I once owned an example of the basket hilt M1788 which had a 40" heavy blade like this. In recalling that sword, it was also a backsword and if I recall correctly, the blade tip was somewhat rounded. It is important to note that during the 18th century, Britain was being considerably influenced by the impressive cavalry tactics and weapons of Eastern Europe. In articles I have read concerning British cavalry swords, the term 'chopping' is used in somewhat derisive manner, alluding to rather inept swordsmanship. I think it is possible , after considering what we have discussed, that description may refer to certain technique that may have been used as described, rather than any inept form.

Getting back to the rounded blade tip ( OK we knew you were kidding about the executioner pallasch!! ...it seems that this feature is found on many sword blades, most typically broadswords, but not characteristically on sabres. As noted, the rounded tip is sharpened, and I believe this is for slashing cuts, where the sharp point of the sabre has obviously limited point of contact...the rounded tip has more area. Returning to British cavalry sabres, the M1796 light cavalry, had a radiused and heavy point termed a 'hatchet point'. This term itself clearly alludes to the 'chopping' action previously described, and possibly learned by the British from Eastern European techniques.

The Tuareg takouba and the Omani kattara are both broadswords that typically have these rounded tips. With both of these swords, it seems the blades have derived from imported trade blades usually from Germany. Although this feature is not predominant in European blades, it does seem significant enough to have influenced the native blades of these regions.
It would be interesting to know more on the sword combat techniques
used with these swords. Unfortunately there are no references as far as I know describing them.

As always, discussing and researching brings new dimension to what was already a fascinating and most unusual Eastern European straight sabre.
While we are aware of the estoc, and its clearly placed use in thrusting, it is apparant that there were also similarly hilted weapons such as this which had use not as clearly apparant. Although historic narratives often note a sword being used, there are seldom specifics describing any details of the sword itself or how it was used.

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 6th March 2005 at 10:25 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote