View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012, 06:25 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
And if we can agree that the context is Islamic, and not Jewish or Babylonian, on this blunderbuss then this decides which culture that rules what they should be called. If the star (#1) would have been on a Jewish artifact I would have chosen to name it the shield of David, instead of the seal of Solomon etc...
I think we can probably be fairly certain that we are dealing with this seal in an Islamic context. However i don't quite understand your above statement since both Solomon and David were kings of Israel and of the Jewish faith long before the origins of Islam. Both the six-pointed star and the 5-pointed star were used in that culture as well. I have indeed heard the 5-pointed star referred to as the "Shield of David" while the 6-pointed star is more often referred to as the "Star of David" (Magen David), however the 6-pointed star is also often referred to as the "Shield of David" as well. Likewise, in terms of the one single "Seal of Solomon" (Solomon's ring) as a symbol, both the pentagram and the hexagram have been associated with this. What i'm getting at here is that over the years there has been so much conjecture as well as changing ideas in various cultures to the point were no matter what your academic credentials might be, having a definitive answer as to exactly what these seals are or if there is any validity to connecting them to Solomon or not seems pointless.
David is offline   Reply With Quote