View Single Post
Old 21st July 2022, 04:06 PM   #7
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Yes, this is a good one

I have heard these relatively uncommon silver mounted takoubas referred to as "wedding" takoubas by a Tuareg owner of one. I suspect that they are mostly commissioned by more 'urban' Tuareg who have come into some cash, as opposed to chiefs living the traditional pastoral nomadic life. Of course, they often do 'end' as a prize for the traveler willing to overpay.

The silverwork (teben) is of a style typical for silversmithing done in Agadez, Niger. The five fullered blades are locally termed takouba tamougass. In my limited experience, the blades so mounted have been good old heirloom blades of European manufacture.

Besides details of workmanship and markings, the old trade blades will feel springy if you hold the blade at your side and slap the side of your leg with the flat. Locally made blades will feel more rigid and 'dead.' You can see that the blade has been reshaped by repeated sharpening, particularly the tip, suggesting it does have some age and probably had an earlier set of mountings.

You would more commonly see (two decades ago) many sorts of big 'fantasy' knives with a similar style of silverwork in the market. These were clearly for the tourist while a tourism 'industry' briefly existed in the area back then.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote