View Single Post
Old 14th January 2020, 07:04 PM   #16
AndreaFeraro89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSinTX
Welcome to the forum Giovanni and thank you for the information and link! Also, thanks for bringing up the pommel. I assumed it to not be original due to it not being the "classic" style. But then I started noticing that very few of these swords have guards that match up to the notch in the classic pommel. It seems that your example may actually be wearing the original guard that correctly matches the pommel? Perhaps all the other examples were "rearsenaled" in bulk in a like way? Similar to how 20th century infantry firearms were rearsenaled in mass after a war.

Do you have any thoughts on the grip of mine? It seems old to me.

Best,
Casey
Thank you to the welcome! I have seen some styles of guards mounted in very similar blades, the pommel seems to have more regular style. You must consider that this sword where mass produced for infantrymen and sailors.

About your handle, I miss to say that, it seems the original, many swords have been disassembled to replace "poor" handles like this with iron wire covered ones. In my opinion a soldier sword like this would have a very simple handle like the one you have. There are another example with similar handle, I must find it!
AndreaFeraro89 is offline   Reply With Quote