View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:54 PM   #4
jagabuwana

My reasons are several, but here are some main ones in no particular order.

First is out of respect for the Javanese mother culture of the keris.
I'm not Javanese, but now that I have a deep interest in one of their essential artefacts, it seems only appropriate to afford it the same etiquettes and conventions.

Second is related to the first in that it is a very small way of better understanding Javanese thought.
Cultures other than your own can be hard to understand, but when you intentionally start to adopt certain ways of thinking, seeing and acting, sometimes it can provide some small but important glimmers of understanding. Though it does make it easier that I am partly of a culture has a shared history with the Jawa people.

As a result of 1 and 2 I consider now consider the keris to be a somewhat sensitive subject. So I am increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of displaying keris that are personal, with even some reluctance for keris that I would consider selling soon, unless its to someone I at the very least trust and have good rapport with. All I can say for now is that it feels tactless and I don't yet fully understand why.

Last edited by jagabuwana; 4th January 2023 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Clarifications
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote