View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:59 AM   #36
Matt Branch

Default Another reply

Here is another reply to one of my e-mails, another confirmation of Jim's thoughts. There are 2 more curators that have said they will look into their collections when the have time.

Research Results:

From the pictures your family’s sword looks like a very interesting piece. Unfortunately, I do not think that we have much to add to the information that has already been posted on www.vikingswords.com, since your particular sword is outside of our main area of expertise (our concentration centers mostly around Medieval and Renaissance arms and armor). The closest item we have in our collection is an Ames 1833 pattern, which has already been mentioned on the thread. Our research materials contain a few images of hilts in the same general style, which seems to have been a popular one, but I could not find any exact matches. The hilt on the 1822 (pattern British infantry officer’s sword is quite similar, as are several German hilts from half a century later. From what I read, Jim McDougall has access to better material concerning the blade then I do, and his theories do sound plausible. I wish you the best of luck in your research. I know that this is an area not well covered in the standard sources, but your sword is special enough that you can hopefully find some further leads to its origin.
Jonathan Reynolds
Curatorial Intern

Also I found a small statue that is similar to the eagle on my sword on this site
http://www.mosthistory.org/Gallery
Its the 4th image, kind of small but it is perched on the cactus, I can't see if the names of the Mexican states are written on the cactus as they are on the Disternell Treaty Map, And the wing tips do point down which again is not common in Mexican eagles used as symbols.
(I hope you can click on the link.) I have not heard back from them.
anyway I am still searching.
Regards
Matt
Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote