View Single Post
Old 17th January 2017, 02:21 AM   #22
Belizechopper

Default espada anchas

Jim, most that I know or rather think other than what few articles written I have read is pure speculation and opinion. The espada with the bird head in the pommel end of the Potosi style saber is a very interesting piece. The hilt is bigger than most as so many have grips for a small hand. It is my opinion that all of the ornate or better made swords come from the southern States of Mexico. This one was found in Queretaro, Mexico but as you said that really does not mean much. I have found the Potosi style in south west US and in California. To me the ones some people call Texas style, the round tangs with stirrup hilts unadorned seem to turn up in the Northern States of Mexico more. Interestingly a couple of my round tangs with the riveted guard bars have hickory grips. Both are in my opinion later swords but possibly old hilt on 1840 to 1870 blade. I also have one with a shorter blacksmith flat blade that I would date earlier. It is my opinion the blacksmith flat blades with deep curve upward started around 1750 or later with the laminated sash langet hilts and get straighter as time goes by untill 1870 to 1880 when the more machete type became popular. The chiseled shell guard with straight blades that look a lot like 1750 British hunting swords like S. Harveys brass model in my opinion are south eastern Spanish controlled US and Caribbean. The round tangs with finger loops are I think south Central American and north South American. My bone grip with the forward quillions was purchased in Mexico City. I am hoping I can learn from you and others on here and will change my opinions as needed. Regards Eric
Belizechopper is offline   Reply With Quote