View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:26 AM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Capitão
In googling the net on GARDE TOURNANTE, i find inumerous entries; would it be a question of different browsers ?
Most or all those entries are from French sites, one assuring that the garde tournante is a French exclusive version ... for what is worth, Jim.
Also from what i read, this type of sword equiped various branches... Volunteers and Gendarmerie in the least. I saw one with the lion pommel, said to be from an officer of the Volunteers, in which units they were obliged to commission their swords, therefore having great liberty to order multiple variations. This would explain the many different examples we see out there; after all, a practice often observed in many other cases/countries in the period. During the (French) Revolution numerous Volunteer units were formed to reinforce the regular army from the 'Ancient Regime'. This said example is reputed to have belonged to an officer in the Overseas Provinces.
The example i saw with an iron guard is said to be from the Gendarmerie.
Officers and sub-Officers are mentioned as being these swords owners, never soldiers ... again for what is worth.
Here is another one with an impecable grip wiring.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote