View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:41 AM   #8
M ELEY

Thanks, Jim. This sword wasn't my particular style, but I added it to the collection because I think it shows a fascinating 'crossroads' in sword history. Early naval pieces carried by officers were typically anything they could get their hands on. As maritime weapons progressed (as you well know! I'm just laying this out as to my interest), officers began to carry fancy hangers. The early hunting swords developed into the cheaper, plain cutlasses(carried and used by the common sailor). Officers then began carrying a wider range of offer's type swords, often not even naval in origin (Annis points out infantry, cavalry, etc, with nautical connections). This very showy sword is one of those fancy types that were still very much functional in battle. Most 19th century offer's swords seemed purely dress with rare exceptions. Smallswords, fraternal swords and such were what the upper ranks started wearing. I think pieces like this are right at that period before function became obsolescent to sign of rank-
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote