Thread: Origins please
View Single Post
Old 4th August 2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
Blades often saw long service lifes, were family heirlooms, were extensively traded, etc so it is not uncommon to see older blades mounted up in late 19th or early 20th century mounts. While it is not an exact measuring tool, a wider, heavier blade with less curvature can be a fairly old blade especially if it is damascus. Anthony North in his book "Islamic Arms in the V&A" mentions that while it is difficult to date unprovenanced or undated swords the earlier ones tend to be wider and heavier and this was due to usage. It would have been used against armour. In the later times, 18th and 19th century, heavy armour slowly went away and the shamshir design slimmed down, took more curvature, etc.

Lovely swords!
Thanks Rick, your expression of knowledge is always appreciated. I do look forward to feeling them first hand and I will note differences in my postings when they arrive, incidentally I acquired a not uncommon double jian with these as well, late Ching dynasty in pristine condition, when it too arrives I will post these as there is a difference of blade styles I would like to note and hear feedback on.

All the best

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote